Sophomore Rachel Dixon celebrates with her teammates after scoring the tying goal with just 10 minutes left in the match vs. Morris. The match took place at Saints Field on October 1st. (Cable Photo/Maggie Grob)

Women’s Soccer Strikes Back in Second Half

Sam Hvidsten

The College of St. Scholastica women’s soccer team had quite an eventful weekend. They started the weekend strong defeating the University of Minnesota Morris Cougars during overtime with a score of 2-1, and ended with a close game against the Hamline University Pipers that resulted in a score of 2-3 loss.

The first half versus Morris was a battle. The Saints seemed to be in control most of the game, but struggled to get past Morris’ strong defense. In minute forty the ball sailed over the Saint’s goalkeeper, Roni Rudolph, into the net creating a 1-0 lead for Morris. After the score the Saints weren’t able to respond before the whistle sounded for the end of the half, meaning the Saints had work to do once they continued play after the break.

The beginning of the second half seemed to be going the same way as the first half. With only ten minutes left in the match, sophomore Rachel Dixon re-entered the game. Only twenty-one seconds later she found the ball from Taylor Olson, soaring into the net and knocking the ball in to tie the game up at 1-1. The game stayed tied until the end of the second half, forcing the game to go into overtime. Halfway through the first overtime period, freshman Janelle Rouillard fired the ball through the goalkeeper, creating the game winning goal.

“The win on Saturday was a team effort win that we couldn’t have done without every single player on the team” Rouillard said. “Everyone did their job and pushed to the very end.”

Fresh off of the win on Saturday, the girls geared up to face Hamline on the Saints Field the following day. The first half hour of the game went back and forth between the Saints and the Pipers. Hamline was the first team to appear on the scoreboard with a goal in the thirty-third minute. It didn’t take long for the Pipers to score again, ending the half with a 2-0 lead.

Though they were down by two, the Saints did not give up hope. Around the fifty-seven minute mark sophomore Rachel Dixon scored an unassisted goal, which was her third of the season. Goalkeeper Rudolph had a lot of action at the net. She saved two goals before Hamline regained their two-goal lead. Only one minute after, Saint’s sophomore Hannah Zeis had a successful penalty kick, shrinking Hamline’s lead to a one-goal difference yet again. The Saints weren’t quite able to pull of a comeback like they did the previous day against Morris, falling short by a score of 2-3.

The Saints are currently 4-0-1 in UMAC play, another outstanding record for the College of St. Scholastica. With five of their six games being conference play, coach David Reyelts has a plan.

“We need to be more consistent throughout the match” Coach Reyelts said. “Our girls showed a lot of heart and grit to come from behind on Saturday. Unfortunately, we weren’t able to do the same on Sunday. We need to improve our 1st half play and be more consistent.”

The Saints play again on Saturday, October 8th on the Saint’s field against Crown College, another UMAC team. They will also be back on Tuesday, October 11th against UW-Superior.