Women’s Soccer Flexes on North Central

Joe Stark

The College of St. Scholastica women’s soccer team split two games this past weekend. The first game was rough for the Saints as they were shutout 3-0 by Augsburg, but they recovered nicely to earn a conference win against North Central University by a score of 10-0.

The Saints took on Augsburg Friday night in Minneapolis. Due to unfortunate weather conditions the game was delayed fifteen minutes, but then was able to be played in its entirety without any more weather delays. St. Scholastica found themselves in a hole early on in the game. Augsburg scored in the first five minutes of the game, and then again in the twenty-fourth minute to make it 2-0. It would stay a two-goal competition for a majority of the game until Augsburg scored again late in the second half to push it to the 3-0 final. The Saints were only able to muster three shots all night, with Rachel Dixon being the only one to put one on goal. Roni Rudolph saw eight shots her way, and was able to save five of them in the loss.

On Saturday it was a completely different story as the Saints brought their scoring shoes. It was as if the Saints had saved up all their scoring from the night before, and decided to unleash it all on North Central. The Saints scored early and often as junior Kadie Mattson was able to find the back of the net just six minutes into the game. Only two minutes later Taylor Olson scored her first goal of the game to make it a quick 2-0 lead for the Saints. It would only take Taylor Olson two more minutes to repeat what she had just done; scoring her second goal of the game, and giving the Saints a 3-0 lead only ten minutes into the game. At this point Dixon wanted to get in some of the scoring as she scored the last goal of the half giving CSS a 4-0 halftime lead

Surprisingly, the Saints scored even more in the second half; it seemed like they possessed the ball the entire half. Taylor Olson scored her hat trick right away in the second half as she scored just ten minutes in. With the flood gates broken wide open the Saints were able to score five more goals with a goal by Alex Miller, and two goals apiece from Emily Olson and Peyton Bacso. After breaking out your calculator and adding up all the goals, you will get a final score of 10-0 in favor of the Saints.

Playing back-to-back games is tough on an athlete physically and mentally, especially losing the first game and having to forget about that and move on to the next one.

“We kept our heads up, and let Friday’s game go,” said Taylor Olson. “We took our frustration from the loss and used it as motivation to win on Saturday.”

It is sometimes easy to lose focus in such a one sided win but Emily Olson thought that their strategy is what allowed them to keep scoring and remain focused.

“We were able to dominate Saturday’s game so well because no matter what the score was we kept playing like it was 0-0,” said Olson. “We moved the ball around, created space and our communication was better than it has been. I think our biggest key was we stayed together as a team and no one tried to do it all themselves.”

Offense and scoring are only one side of it. It also takes a great defense to be able to limit a team to only one shot and zero goals.

“Defensively, we kept our shape together and we shifted as a team. We were always quick to step towards the ball to prevent them from progressing up the field,” said Mattson.

The Saints play again on Saturday at 2 p.m. against the University of Minnesota-Morris at Saints Field on campus.