Men’s Basketball 1-1 in Twin Cities

Shawn Pohlmann

The College of St. Scholastica men’s basketball team started off conference play this past weekend when it traveled to play the North Central University Rams and the conference favorite University of Northwestern Eagles.

In their matchup Friday night with the Rams, the Saints jumped out to a quick four-point lead. The Rams tied the game at four before both teams started to struggle, as another point wasn’t scored until 13:50 remaining in the first half. A couple of three pointers from junior Kory Deadrick would put the Saints up 10-7, and a few possessions later the Saints saw themselves up 14-9 with 10 minutes left in the half. Shortly after that, the Saints would go on a ten to two run to open up a 24-12 lead with 4:38 left in the half. With eight seconds left, senior Julius Johnson hit a couple of free throws to send the Saints to the half with a 34-19 lead.

Senior guard Tony Adamczak started the second half scoring for the Saints with a free throw. A couple minutes later, junior Joe Stark sparked the Saints on an eight to three run with a jumper. The Saints increased their margin to a 21-point lead with 15:03 left in the game when Deadrick hit a free throw. The Rams battled back to get within 13, but that would be as close as they would come as the Saints would be victorious by a score of 74-59.

Kory Deadrick led the Saints as he scored a career high 22 points. Sophomore Brandon Newman added 15 as well in the victory.

The next day the Saints traveled to the University of Northwestern to play against their conference foes. The Saints won the UMAC regular season last year, but were defeated by the Eagles in the UMAC tournament. Northwestern and Scholastica are projected to finish one and two in the conference this year, respectively.

After exchanging baskets early and often the Saints had a 10-8 lead after five minutes of play. After a nine to zero run the Saints jumped out to a 17-8 lead with 12 minutes remaining in the half. The Saints held a strong lead for the remainder of the half, but saw it slip away in the last few minutes to only go in the locker room up by a score of 40-36.

The Eagles tied the game up as they scored the first four points in the second half. Newman would then score three straight to put the Saints back up by three. The Eagles took the lead for the first time since the beginning of the game by going up 44-43 with 15:57 left in the game. The Saints then regained the lead and held a four point advantage with 10 minutes remaining. The Eagles went on an 11-0 run to take a 58-55 lead with 7:38 remaining. The game went back and forth until the 4:54 mark when poor shooting would come to hurt the Saints and the Eagles began to pull away. They would jump out to as much as a six-point lead. The Saints weren’t able to cut down the margin and fell to the Eagles by a score of 76-69.

The Saints shot just 27 percent in the second half and the poor shooting ended up being the downfall in the seven-point loss to their conference rivals. Brandon Newman led the Saints with 23 points and also led the team with eight rebounds.

The Saints will look to improve on their record next weekend when the Finlandia University Lions and the Northland College Lumberjacks come to town.